Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bookwormed!


My friend, Gay, who blogs at Words in Place, sent me a Bookworm award and asked me to pass it on to other blogging buddies. I don’t usually participate in this sort of thing, but I have to admit that I am a bookworm; and it sounded fun.

Here is what I am supposed to do: open the closest book to you (not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment) to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence as well as the next two or three sentences. Pass this on to five blogging friends.

Okay; the closest book was Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff, who lives here in Seattle. Here’s the sentences from page 56.

The usual kind. Pot, of course, speed, Valium, coke on special occasions, acid when I needed a cheap vacation. I know that probably sounds like a lot, but at that point in my life I had it under control.

BTW, Bad Monkeys is a great read. It’s speculative fiction, with a heavy dose of paranoid conspiracy theory, told in the first person by a most unreliable narrator.

I’m going to pass this on to:

Erin at Living the Fictional Dream
Alex at Meanwhile ..
Sylvia at Can’t Backspace

And you three take note. If you don’t want to play, don’t worry about it. It’s cool, particularly if you don’t think there’s space in your blog for it.

The last part of the qualifier was aimed at Sylvia. For anyone who hasn’t visited her clever blog, pop over there now. You’ll understand my comment.