Sunday, December 14, 2008

At Static Movement

If you're looking for something to read, A Bannockburn Night, my take on a Lake Superior legend, is on-line now at Static Movement.

It's a ghost story, of a sort, and an experiment for me in character voice. It's told first person and the narrator is a retired boat captain, a fellow in his eighties who is down-to-the-ground genuine; the sort who may lack imagination, but makes up for it in intelligence and integrity. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Three things before you go.

First, it's pronounced Ba-Nock-Burn, with emphasis on the second syllable; The boat in the story was a real vessel and it was named for a village in Scotland where a famous battle took place during the Scottish War for independence from Great Britain.

Next, I know about the commas. I have been working to rid my stories of adverbs and now I have to whittle away at all the commas.

Finally, those big ore freighters are called boats, not ships. It's a Great Lakes thing.