Friday, February 6, 2009

Greetings from the motherland

When you are as large as I am (six feet, two inches and well over two hundred pounds) you get used to folks looking.

There are days, though, that I feel like a normal-sized person, living in a land overrun by little people.

I know there are other women out there who are my size; the clothing manufacturers don't make all those blouses and slacks and sweaters just for me. But I don't often see those other women.

I saw one yesterday.

She strolled toward me from around a corner in downtown Seattle; taller than me by a couple of inches but not carrying the weight I do. Not carrying my sixty-two years, either. Even so, she had some heft to her.

She was wearing a police uniform. That didn't surprise me; a lot of large women are drawn to law enforcement. I learned that while working as a corrections officer in Florida.

I caught her eye as we passed. If I had had a sword, I would have rattled it upon my shield in greeting. Instead, I smiled and dipped my chin. She cocked one eyebrow and returned the smile.

Two Amazons, in passing; silently saying, "I see you."